A&D Weighing Launches New Product Lines that Answers the Industry Query: Can Load Cells Replace the Electromagnetic Method of Precision Balances?
SAN JOSE, Calif. – October 20, 2017 – For businesses looking to invest in balances, A&D Weighing recently announced its new larger-capacity, load cell-based EJ series provides the same levels of affordability, precision and functionality previously found only in balances using a high-sensitivity electromagnetic weight sensor.
In 2014, the company launched its first 1-mg balances that employed a load cell as the weight sensor, the EJ-123 and EJ-303. They recently added two new 10-mg models with larger capacities, EJ-1202 and EJ-3002, to round out the series of compact precision balances. The high resolutions achieved with these balances (1/120,000 to 1/310,000) were previously only realized by electromagnetic force restoration (EFR), the method most commonly adopted for laboratory balances – including microbalances.
“The long-standing method of electromagnetic force restoration determines a mass from the amount of current required to generate the electromagnetic force on one side of a lever that equalizes with the mass placed on the other side,” said Terry Duesterhoeft, President and CEO of A&D Company in the Americas. “This resulted in a high degree of precision and accuracy. Today, however, our EJ series challenges the established edge EFR has always held in the industry, offering users a way to spend less without compromising on precision, and functionality as well.
New features to ensure stable high-precision measurements
Depending on the degree of vibration and draft, users can select one of three different combinations of weighing speed and stability to effectively cope with their adverse effects on weighing performance. Further, the EJ series is equipped with a display lock function, which locks the display once the stable indicator is lit, making it easier to read and record the display.
For the EJ-123 and EJ-303, a breeze break is attached as standard to minimize the effects of drafts to enhance accuracy as well as stability. It is also coated with an anti-static agent to prevent unstable weighing due to static from nearby objects.
New features for diverse applications in schools, laboratories, factories, etc.
The EJ series provides functions and options that facilitate various kinds of weighing tasks:
- The counting mode lets users count a number of small pieces of the same mass quickly, effortlessly and precisely;
- The Automatic Counting Accuracy Improvement (ACAI) function recalculates the average unit weight each time a sample is added to eliminate errors caused by variations in unit weight;
- In percent mode, the weight can be displayed as a percentage of a reference mass, which is useful for target weighing or checking the sample variation;
- The accumulation (M+) function can sum separate weighing results and display the total value, saving users from the hassle of performing the addition by themselves and reducing the risk of making errors. It also counts and displays the number of times weighing is performed.
Two kinds of data communication interfaces are available as options. One is the Quick USB interface, which allows sending weighing data to Microsoft Excel, Word, Notepad, etc., without installing any drivers or other additional software on a PC. The other is the RS-232C interface for bi-directional communication with a PC, printer or other peripheral devices.
- Clearly visible, LCD display (16 mm character height) with backlight;
- Stainless steel pan, which is resistant to chemicals and scratches;
- Multiple weighing units: g, oz, lb (for the EJ-1202/3002), ozt, ct, mom, dwt, gr, N, pcs (counting mode) and % (percent mode), in addition to SG (specific gravity);
- Long lasting battery power (70 hours without backlight), with operation using either AC adapter or four AA batteries;
- Auto power OFF function to avoid wasting power; and
- Security slot in the rear of the balance to accommodate an anti-theft lock.
For documentation required by GLP, GMP, GCP, ISO, etc., the balance can output the manufacturer name, model name, serial number, ID number (six alphanumeric characters set by the user), and space for signature with weighing or calibration results. The date and time can be added as well when printing out the results using A&D Weighing's optional compact printer.
# # #
About A&D Weighing:
A business unit of A&D Engineering and part of the A&D Americas family of businesses, A&D Weighing is an ISO 9001 certified company and based in San Jose, Calif. Leveraging A&D’s more than 40 years of experience with technology innovation in the development of precision measurement and control products, A&D Weighing designs and manufactures a complete line of viscometers, electronic balances, scales, weighing indicators and controllers for pharmacy, laboratory, food service and industrial applications, as well as advanced electronic blood pressure monitoring equipment for both home health care and professional markets. A&D is a multinational company with operations in Asia, Australia, Europe, Mexico and the United States. For more information about A&D Weighing, please visit http://www.andweighing.com/.